Almost everyone has some kind of furry pet living with them; whether it’s a dog, cat, gerbil, or even a tarantula. We bring them into our homes and they quickly become not just a pet, but a member of the family. As such, it is our duty to take care of them to the best of our abilities. Here are some tips for your pets this summer:
- Keep plenty of fresh water available at all times.
- Keep fresh food out at all times, unless your pet is on a feeding schedule.
- For animals that live outside, try to bring them indoors during the heat of the day if at all possible. If they can’t come indoors make sure they have a cool, shaded spot to be in the yard. Try to buy a fan and set it up next to their cool spot. Consider buying an automatic water feeder that keeps cool water from the faucet constantly flowing in their bowl. Also consider installing a misting system, which will help keep the animal cool.
- Shaving your dog or cat will instantly help keep them cooler.
- If you bring your pet out with you in the car, NEVER leave them sitting in the car, even if you leave the car running or the windows cracked. The inside of your car can quickly reach temperatures around 200 degrees fahrenheit. Temperatures that hot can kill your beloved pet within minutes of you leaving them in the car. Not only is leaving your pet in the car illegal, but it is cruel. So think responsibly before you take your pet out with you and make sure they can join you wherever you go.
- With the dry, hot environment outside, fleas have become a big problem for many pet owners. Watch your pet to see if he or she is excessively itching. If you have seen fleas or think your pet may have fleas read this article (http://www.ehow.com/how_2439_get-rid-fleas.html) to find out how to get rid of these pests.
- Remember to keep your pet’s vaccinations up to date!
Lastly, if you don’t have a pet and you are ready to take on the responsibility of one, look for your next best friend at the Brazos Valley Animal Shelter (http://brazosanimalshelter.org/).
What do you do to keep your pets happy and healthy?