The building was built in 1904 as the Howell Wholesale Grocers Building by a prominent local banker and businessman. The first floor housed the grocery business and the second and third floors contained first class professional offices and the Brazos Cotton Exchange. The upper floors were closed to the public in the early 1960’s, preserving them intact in their original and unmodernized state. From the mid 1960’s until the early 80’s, Stacy’s Furniture was located on the first floor.For about 20 years the building sat vacant and boarded up. In 2005, Anderson Schaefer purchased the building and restored the second and third floor office suites to their original grandeur, adding a modern elevator and air conditioning to the building for the first time in its 100 year history. River Bridge Bar & Grill occupies the first floor and the original Brazos Cotton Exchange space became the Ballroom, retaining its historic title and returning life to the prominent downtown landmark.